- Unsalted Butter,
- Olive Oil.
- Mix the flour and salt then pour one cup of water and start kneading.
- If you feel the dough is still not coming together or too dry, gradually add the remaining water until you get a dough that is very elastic so that when you pull it and it won’t be torn.
- Let the dough rest for just 10 minutes then divide the dough into 6-8 balls depending on the size you want for your feteer.
- Warm up the butter/ghee or oil you are using and pour into a deep bowl.
- Immerse the dough balls into the warm butter. Let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 550F.
- Stretch the first ball with your hands on a clean countertop. Stretch it as thin as you can, the goal here is to see your countertop through the dough.
- Fold the dough over itself to form a square brushing in between folds with the butter mixture.
- Set aside and start making the next ball.
- Stretch the second one thin as we have done for the first ball.
- Place the previous one on the middle seam side down. Fold the outer one over brushing with more butter mixture as you fold. Set aside.
- Keep doing this for the third and fourth balls. Now we have one ready, place on a 10 inch baking/pie dish seam side down and brush the top with more butter.
- Repeat for the remaining 4 balls to make a second one. With your hands lightly press the folded feteer to spread it on the baking dish.
- Place in preheated oven for 10 minutes when the feteer starts puffing turn on the broiler to brown the top.
- When it is done add little butter on top and cover so it won’t get dry.