- In a large bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup buckwheat flour, 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon yeast.
- Make a well in the center and pour in 1 cup warm milk, whisking until the batter is smooth.
- Cover the bowl and let the batter rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Enrich and Rest the Batter
- Stir 2 tablespoons melted butter and 1 egg yolk into the batter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk 1 egg white until stiff, but not dry.
- Fold the whisked egg white into the batter.
- Cover the bowl and let the batter stand 20 minutes.
- Pan-Fry the Blini
- Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Drop quarter-sized dollops of batter into the pan, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook for about 1 minute or until bubbles form.
- Turn and cook for about 30 additional seconds.
- Remove the finished blini onto a plate and cover them with a clean kitchen towel to keep warm. Add more butter to the pan and repeat the frying process with the remaining batter.